Monday, December 7, 2009

My Hero

Ok, first of all, I know that most EVERYONE is TIRED of the Tiger W**ds media attention. But, I do have to say that I was VERY disappointed to hear about it! I felt that he was a good role model to young people and that finally there was an athlete that kids could look up to. There is a lot of controversy about whether famous people should be held to a higher standard than others and whether they are entitled to their privacy.
My position is that the standard is the same for all and is set not by man, but by God through His Word and by the example that Jesus set while on earth. And, just as there are known hazards for skydiving there are known hazards for being famous...people will want to know every little detail (good and bad; right or wrong) of your life. Does that mean famous people should be or appear perfect?...No, BUT I would like for them to understand that there is responsibility that comes with having millions of young impressionable eyes watching them!
With that said, I do have a bigger responsibility to help my children know what traits and characteristics make a person a good role model. Not money, not athleticism, not talent! Jesus set the example for us to follow and therefore, surrounding themselves with those that try to be Christ-like are the good role models.


Soooo.... Tonight I watched a person work in a way that made her a hero in my eyes. I watched a 7 year old with physical limitations work her hardest on her homework. Homework that she had because it takes her a lot longer to complete pencil/paper tasks than most of her peers.
She brought home a reading assignment because she has to miss a portion of her recess to go to a literacy group for extra reading help. Keep in mind that she has learned the English language in less than a year and has a speech impairment that limits her pronunciation of words, therefore making it hard to sound out words. But, because of her hardwork she is still able to read alomost on grade level!
She brought home a math assignment because she had to WRITE her numbers 1-100 and did not complete it in time to complete the other math worksheet in class. Keep in mind that she can verbally count to 100 and completed the SKIP counting homework with no assistance, except for me transcribing exactly what she told me to.
She may have physical limitations, but she does work as if there were no difference between her and president (couldn't think of a better example...)It is next to impossible to "modify" or shorten any of her assignments, because she doesn't see why she can't do what everyone else does!
That little girl AMAZES me and teaches me so much more than any "famous" person on tv, in a magazine, or anywhere else. She loves God with all her being, gives 100% at everything and continues to want to learn more. That is what makes a hero!

5 comments:

The Ham Family said...

What a special little hero you have in your home! She is blessed to have you as her mother as you are blessed to have her as your daughter. God is good all the time! Love you guys!

Cara said...

Diane, I can't tell you how much I loved your post. I was ready to "amen" after the first half, but the part about Lilly was awesome. She is special, indeed, as are all your precious girls. Y'all do a fantastic job with them. If I don't get to see ya before you leave, have a fun safe trip!

Sharla M. said...

What a great post!! I so agree with your initial comments about Mr. Woods. You're so right, they do have an added responsibility, but so many of them fail to live up to it.

What a blessing to read about Lilly and her determined attitude!!

Blessings,
Sharla

Anonymous said...

Lilly,
You are one GREAT little person in our eyes! Keep going, sweetie.....

Liesl and Cali

http://www.renovar-dni.com.ar said...

Wow, amazing site layout! Just how long have you been blogging for? You made blogging look simple and easy. The overall look of your web site is amazing, let alone this article!