Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Still quiet...time for a Lilly update


This is the look on Lilly's face after I just loudly exclaimed,"LILLY!"


This is the reason for the shocked looked on both her face and mine! Yep, that is hair on the floor that she cut off. Once we got past the puzzled look on her face (a look that is now usually used when she WANTS to pretend she does not understand) she quickly said "Sorry." I have to admit I probably did not handle this well, but being that we were fortunate to make it through 3 daughters without self-given haircuts, I was quite shocked! Luckily, the spot she cut blended very well into the back of her hair.


This time this look of surprise was really cute. It was her first bath at Grammie and Poppa's Jacuzzi tub. She loved the bubbles!


The girl LOVES corn on the cob. We stopped her after 3 ears, but I am pretty sure she could have kept going. I bought some ears while she was with me at the grocery store and she started laughing and saying, "YEAHHH!!!"

Tomorrow makes 2 months of being home with Lilly! It is hard to believe! She has done soooo well through the whole transition and her sisters have done amazing helping her. There are many days that Jay and I both feel that it seems that she has been with us from birth. I thank God for the peace he has granted all of us through this change.
I had a friend tell me that things got a little rocky around the 2 month mark. So, I have began to "look for" things that aren't going well, and there really aren't any. But, in hopes that there are prospective adoptive parents out there in cyber space reading this, I feel that it would be a benefit to share some of the whole picture.
I have began to notice that we take forgranted the fact that Lilly has only been with us here at home for 2 months. She is absolutely learning and adjusting as fast as she possibly can! As soon as we arrived home, things were crazy. We had Thanksgiving, volleyball season, then Christmas season, travel to grandparents (10 hour car rides), start kindergarten, meet LOTS of new people,go back to school after break, doctor appointments, dentist appointments, dental surgery, livestock shows, and now basketball season. And yet, after her having to endure all of that, I feel myself get frustrated when I ask her to stop a particular behavior, continue to help her with "little" tasks such as bathing, toothbrushing, etc. WOW! ...and to think we have a heavenly Father that has eternal patience and understanding!
On top of her having to learn EVERYTHING, she has been able to communicate a little about her other mama and baba (daddy). It was these conversations that reminded me that this little 6 year old girl had been taken from everything familiar to her and thrust into a new environment. From all that I have understood from Lilly during these conversations, she loved and was loved by 2 very special people. She was able to communicate that her "other mama" (as she put it) cried when she left. The most amazing thing about these conversations is how she talks about her having 2 mamas and 2 daddies, and just when I want to feel jealous of missing her previous years I see that she is completely open to loving Jay and I in just 2 months the same as she loved her foster family for 4 years. I also just realized that the family that raised such a loving, fun little girl must have been truly amazing themselves and I am truly grateful for what they have done.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Hey guys glad to see you updated. We are slowly working to build a blog but it won't be going any time soon. I will show Tait pictures of the girls and their show animals tonight. She loves for me to check in and tell her what is going on. Glad all is going well. God is so good and gives us peace even when we don't catch what is going on. Have a good one. Lynne

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the picture in the tub! That one is definitely a keeper!