Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pondering

***Macey turned 9 yesterday! I did not forgot to do a birthday blog, but her party is Friday and I want to get pics then. We are also going to see Annie tonight...with dad...more details later!***


It is now time to schedule our 6 month post placement visit with our social worker and it (along with a few other things) has got me to thinking. For most people, that is a good thing, for me that is not always the case. Anyway- I have been thinking...

I can't believe that Lilly has ONLY been with us for 4 1/2 months!

There are many times that it seems she has been with us forever and even last night we had to stop and remind the girls that Lilly is picking things up and learning as fast as she possibly can. She has truly amazed us! She speaks almost completely in English, although it it's still difficult to understand. She is thriving at school, learning to read, learning to add, and she is not really "behind" at this point in school. We really learned at Spring Break just how much she loves school, she was the only one in the family that was counting the days down until she could go back.

Not only is she doing great academically, but in the last 2-3 weeks she has really blossomed socially. While camping she started playing with another little girl at a neighboring campsite and spent the afternoon playing with her. This was the first time we had witnessed her spontaneously initiate play with a person she did not know. It was fun to watch. Also, she has decided that boys are not that bad. At first she really wouldn't have much to do with them, but now she will name 3-5 from her class that she wants to have at her birthday party. Her birthday is not until the end of July, but ever since Haley's birthday party, she has begun to plan hers. It has nothing to do with the presents (a lesson my girls and I can certainly learn)but has ALL to do with having friends over! Her list is growing almost daily, but I have decided that if she wants a BIG party, she is going to get one! Oh yeah, and she watched Nemo over Spring Break, and now she wants a Nemo cake. There have also been some struggles with her being so social. She can't seem to understand why she can't go to friends houses the way her sisters do. I get the blame for this, but in reality I feel like I still need to keep her close. I know that at some point I will need to loosen up, but I don't know that I trust myself to know when that will be.

I know that I usually paint a really rosy picture of everything on my post and that is mostly because I feel it's my post and I can filter out what I don't want others to read. But, there are a couple of really good blogs of others that have adopted that are able to share the good and the bad. I have found that I really value knowing how they handle experiences that are similar. So, I will share a more open view.

The biggest thing I have struggled with lately is that Lilly tells me I am "a little bit mean, but Daddy is not mean." I do really understand why she says this, because he travels some and I am a "little" bit particular about schedules, picking up, etc. There was even one day she said, "You mean, I go back to China." That bothered me, so I pressed her on it. I asked, "Was other mama mean?" Lilly didn't answer, so I told her that I didn't want to be mean, but that when she was asked to do something that she needed to do it and that we would go visit China as a family when she is older, but that we also would come back as a family too. I since have read a favorite blog that shared a similar story. She compared that to the Israelites wanting to go back to Egypt when God was trying to lead them out. I hadn't thought about that...

A little while later she came to me and said "I know you a little mean, and that's okay mama. Other mama in China a little mean too. I know. I know." I hope I translated that right, because I took it as "I know I don't always get to do what I want and you have to correct me, but that is okay, it was the same in China too." There were other times that she repeated the same thing and I really believe that is what she means. I do have to admit that I do wish Jay had to "be mean" a little more, but that is really the case for all 4 girls and I have come to understand that. He too understands and has tried to do more too, which really helps!

Lately, it has also been an adjustment for her to not have everything done for her or go her way. We probably went a little overboard and now it is time for "real life" to start. Last night she got upset twice because she couldn't interrupt a conversation to tell me something and she couldn't pick the table that we ate at. The really good thing about it though is that after taking her to the restroom to explain it to her and to be firm with her, she got over her "mood" quicker than usual. She didn't even mind having to sit by me. Also,I really think the other girls appreciate knowing that she will have expectations similar to theirs.

There are still going to be bumps along the way. But for such a short amount of time, things have gone super. I so believe that her foster parents must have been great, and even parented in a similar style because of how well she has transitioned. I also feel that sharing this has been helpful for me, so probably more to follow at some point.
BTW- a plug for those contemplating older child adoption. We were told that it was hard, and yes that is the case. But, we haven't found it any harder than our 3 bio. daughters...it just seems that sometimes you have to go through the baby (nurturing), toddler (testing limits), and becoming a family unit, all at one time. That can be tiring, but also amazing!

4 comments:

Lacie said...

Yall are doing a wonderful job. Any mom is a bit "mean" at times! Trey has been gone the last 5 days and let's just say about 10pm when my little bit is still coming in to get "water"...I am a "mean" momma too!

Alan and Lynne said...

glad to see the posts. I am slow but I am working on a blog. My goal is to get running this month. I know there are tough times. My sister and her husband have hard times still and they got their little girl when she was 2 days old and from the states. I don't know if we have ever visited about Jordynn but she is completely deaf and has had two coclear implants. She is 10. I want to share with you their mean mommy story. Jordynn is extemely stong willed as well as deaf so for many years communication was difficult. The plan had always been to tell her early on that she was adopted. Because of the deafness that did not happen until she was in school and could communicate fairly well. As they added more responibility she would get mad at them. Her favorite saying for many months around the time she was 7 was that My sister was mean and she was going to live at mommy Nicoles house. That is her real mother that they have limited contact with. My sister was continually crushed and did not handle it well at all. In the mean time my brother in law decided that since all their pets had passed on they would get a new one. They went to the animal shelter and found a small dog to adopt. Thank goodness he was a patient dog because he had the tar squeezed out of him. Needless to say somehow deaf and ungentle seem to go hand in hand. They took pictures at the adoption place of she and the dog and made a big deal about her adopting. There really wasn't a plan just worked out that way. Anyway one day several months later Jordynn did the mean mommy thing again and my sister stop short and turned around and ask her if she would want Jake to go back and live at his other family when she would squeeze him. It finally make a connection for her and she has never said it agian. Now she tells you that she will never leave. Except for me. I am still the mean one because she can't get by with things with me. Have a great one. Lynne

April Isaacs said...

Hi! It's April from One Load at a Time. I just wanted to tell you that when I started reading your comment yesterday, I was really offended because you said you didn't like party when used as "party of 6". I was thinking, "That is so mean. Why would she say that?" THEN, it occurred to me that you had no idea what my email address is. I was confusing my email address with my blog name and I was like, "I am not even publishing that comment!" My email address is isaacspartyof6@yahoo.com. Isn't that so funny?

I feel like what I just wrote is confusing. So, what I am trying to say is.... I was upset because I thought you were being mean but in reality you had no idea about my email:-) Ha ha!

April
P.S. Your children are beautiful!

April Isaacs said...

Oh, and your right, when going out to dinner... it is anything but a party!! Sometimes... it's not even worth it!

April